Tom Breur
23 November 2014
Recently, I was blocked in my work because of ongoing issues
with my laptop. The screen on my laptop would go black, unexpectedly. Oddly,
there didn’t seem to be any pattern, no cause, and despite replacing the disk,
and even replacing the entire operating system (and rebuilding my machine), the
issue persisted. Intermittently.
My patience level with IT related issues is extremely short.
I mean really, really short. As in
1.3 seconds short. So after many trips to the help desk, and a plethora of diagnostic
efforts we attempted to reproduce the problem (or even find a cause), we had
gotten nowhere. My Monday morning lemon was going back for warranty.
When I checked back a week later, it turned out they hadn’t
returned my machine, yet, because it required a special trip to the repair
shop. Since this lack of a fully functional machine was seriously hampering my
productivity, I now had a choice: wait for IT to solve this, or take matters in
my own hand, and go return the device myself.
Impediments, or blockers, are “traditionally” the purview of
your Scrum master. But there is no “law” against anybody applying the law of
two feet: getting up and moving yourself to a place you want to go. I thought
about my laptop warranty issue briefly, and then realized that although going
to the repair shop might seem a “waste” of my time, waiting (and the
uncertainty) for this to resolve “itself” was a waste, too.
One of the beauties of Scrum is that it helps the entire team
focus day in and day out on what the collective impediments are, and
what you can do, yourself (!), to overcome those. After the standup you can
reach out to a colleague and offer your help. Or point to resources. This is
where swarming
helps the team move forward. Or you can decide to just blow up the blocker
yourself.
I wound up having to take a few more trips to the repair
shop, but at last I have a properly working machine, with all my favorite tools
– I’m moving right ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment