Tom Breur
28 August 2016
Scrum is without a doubt the most widely adopted Agile
approach. Yet many people who have been working with Agile the longest, seem
rather critical of it. As much as I love Agile myself, I have some
reservations, too. There are elements I like, but also some features that I
struggle with. That doesn’t make it “unworkable” –I have seen it succeed– but
there are weak spots that you need to be aware of, and cater to in a productive
way. If you want to avoid many of the not-so-great implementations that have
made me weary of Scrum, dealing with Story Points in a constructive way is a
thorny issue.
Estimating & Story Points
Scrum implementations are renown for their reliance on
planning and estimation, and measuring the “size” of stories in Story Points,
even though the Scrum Guide 2106 doesn’t call for Story Points. That’s just the
way it usually gets implemented. Time and time again, I see teams falling into
the trap of celebrating increased velocity by a steady increase in Story Points
they completed per Sprint. That is not to say that the team’s effectiveness might
not have genuinely improved, but once “more story points” becomes the
management holy grail… Guess what. If you are going to reward a team, in subtle
ways, for ramping up their output in Story Points, you will get what you pay
for: more Story Points. But will that mean more valuable software? There’s the
rub.
The planning and estimation part of the Sprint is another
elephant in the room… All too often I have observed Product Owners “push” team
members to increase their Sprint’s commitment. “Surely you smart guys should be
able take on that little Story? Y’all know how important it is, can’t you do it
for me?” That dynamic can easily lead to unattainable goals that hit you back
by an accumulation of technical debt. I’ve also seen inflation of Story Points,
where the same amount of work gets assigned ever more points, another dysfunctional
illusion of progress. Agile is supposed to turn around the management dynamic
where managers are now working to enable subordinates, rather than cracking
their whip and imposing unreasonable demands. That inversion gets overturned by
this unfortunate and counterproductive dynamic.
Story Points should make planning more reliable and output
more predictable. That dynamic will grow trust, foster collaboration, and lead
to a more productive dialogue between (senior) managers and the developers they
rely on so heavily for their success. I have seen that happen, too, and that
has made me such a big fan of Agile. However, because of the issues I just
raised, the dynamic can twist either way. Story Points are elusive, and can
easily take on a life of their own. That, I have found, is truly a dangerous
feature of Scrum implementations. It takes courage and confidence, and a safe
enough environment to raise these issues. But unless you bring them out into
the open, several risks are lurking. Do you really want to expose yourself to
those?
No comments:
Post a Comment