2018-05-20

When do you cut your losses?


Tom Breur
20 May 2018


Business and IT never looked like a marriage made in heaven to me. Whether that is because DBA’s and MBA’s don’t mingle, I don’t know. To me it sometimes looks like trying to dissolve gasoline in water. Not easy. For years I’ve been hearing talk about “running IT like a business”, an idea that originated with Gartner, I believe. But I rarely see it happening!

Here’s an observation: what happens to IT projects that “don’t deliver”? Admittedly, due to the oftentimes ambiguous nature of IT deliverables, the notion of “success” is subject to interpretation. But here’s the rub: when the going gets tough, divergent perspectives on what constitutes success are bound to drive stakeholders apart.

Sometimes struggling projects are abandoned and turn into zombies. If you ever find yourself on one of those projects with insufficient resources to succeed, but just enough to continue in “maintenance mode” – run for the hills! Or as one of my friends once joked: “Oh wait! I am just reminded I urgently need to go floss my cat at home”

The reason why I am skeptical about the premise of “running IT like a business” is because of investment and management considerations. In IT I see projects sometimes being descoped to the point of not (no longer) delivering any real value. No business manager would eve dream of doing that to their operation.

The most significant telltale to me, however, is that failing IT projects are driven into the ground. Not a pretty sight. Show me an IT project that gets canceled halfway into the timeline (like a business might get “restructured”), before using their entire budget, and I’ll have another think.


No comments:

Post a Comment