Tom Breur
21 December 2014
Measuring “Velocity”
in Scrum projects is a bit controversial. My guess is that people’s reservation against measuring it, stems
largely from the way projects might
get (mis-)managed. If the result of striving for higher Velocity “simply” leads
to inflation in Story Points, clearly that’s a stupid way to use it.
Unfortunately, this scenario isn’t uncommon…
If we can leave these
silly management practices aside (staying aware of the dynamics behind it), I
think there can still be genuine value in looking for a manufacturing
equivalent of “number of items produced per day”, if only to help the team
reflect on their performance over time. But looking at Velocity has an other
interesting side effect. It makes you focus on the flow of products coming out of a system.
I vividly remember the aha
moment when I finally “got it”: by switching to this flow vantage point, I
realized how misleading a traditional industrial (batch oriented) mindset can
be. Somehow, we are brought up thinking it will be efficient to work or produce
in batches. I certainly was.
This comes back to
Drucker’s distinction between efficiency and effectiveness: “Efficiency
is doing the thing right. Effectiveness is doing the right thing.” There’s no
point in polishing a batch, until you have proven the outcome meets required
quality standards, and is of value to your customer. By employing single piece flow, you
will get that feedback (a lot) quicker.
In this slide deck from a
keynote on Throughput Accounting and monitoring velocity, I pointed to the counter
intuitive Agile practices that become “obvious” once you see how they
contribute to effectiveness. Several
topics on slide 3 and 4 might require an “aha” moment to be appreciated.
A long distance open water
swimmer needs to sight frequently, and it is rather straining to constantly lift
your head out of the water to check your bearings. This may seem like a
“wasted” effort (unless you have followed someone else in the wrong direction,
like me). Frequently lifting of your head may seem inefficient, a waste, but it is paramount you put in that effort to
ensure you continue to be effective!
By the same token,
frequently checking the validity of your work by decreasing the batch sizes
(maybe even switching to continuous flow?) will go a long way to help you
rethink how “efficient” apparent waste can be. Because I am sure you truly care
about your effectiveness!
No comments:
Post a Comment