2015-11-22

Feedback and observations


Tom Breur
22 November 2015


Retrospectives are a cornerstone of Agile methods. In Agile Retrospectives (2006), Larsen & Derby propose a series of good practices to running effective (and safe!) retrospectives. Besides establishing a safe environment for open communication, a lot has to do with providing good feedback.

Feedback should be factual. This I feel strongly about. Does feedback need to be accurate? Dunno. Sometimes two people can be part of the same team, go through the same process, yet experience the same sequence of events very differently. Exchanging (different) viewpoints, can still be very effective. Especially if they turn out to see things very differently.

A “safe” environment makes a huge difference. It can mean resolving different viewpoints versus headbutting… Unless you can sustain a true dialogue, enable both parties to openly share (and hear!) their mutual perspectives, you quickly get into “head butting.” I am often reminded of the metaphorical Giraffes swaying necks back and forth, where both parties go out of their way to express their opinion, but neither one of them moving an inch!

People give feedback as a means to persuade. To lead, or to trigger change. But that doesn’t mean the other party has to behave in a way they would like. If I give feedback it merely implies I want to make a difference, I want to be “heard.” If my partner now would like to explain to me why I am “wrong” (misinterpreted the evidence I observed), then at least we engage in a fruitful dialogue, a journey of fact finding. Then I’m “happy” to be wrong J


No comments:

Post a Comment