Tom Breur
18 December 2016
My first introduction to Agile came through DSDM,
although the word “Agile” to denote a group of software development methods had
yet to be chosen. Then in 2000 I heard about XP, although at
the time I myself hadn’t made the (even any)
connection between those two. But apparently Arie van Bennekum (incidentally,
the only non-US co-signer of the
Agile Manifesto) and Kent
Beck “saw” something I didn’t see, yet, and with them 15 more co-signers of
the Agile Manifesto in 2001. And so
the umbrella term “Agile” was born, love it or hate it.
Working in an Agile manner has tremendously benefitted me
personally, and I have become convinced of the positive impact it had on so
many projects I was involved in (both inside as well as outside of IT). But
unfortunately, I also see how “abuse” of the term, and poor application (often
lack of comprehension) has hurt the Agile movement. As I see Agile evolving,
and software developers around the globe continuing to try and find inroads to
enhance productivity, “new” ways of trying to do –what appears to me– much the
same thing, keep coming up.
Although maybe not “formally” considered part of Agile, I
think Lean Startup, Specification by
Example, Software
Craftsmanship, DevOps,
and several other “new” ideas that keep springing up, are examples of this. In
the corporate world, Agile often gets applied as the silver bullet that will
magically improve productivity (someone needs to hide those magazines in
airport lounges – quick!). If redesigning your office space, open plans, using JIRA (yuck),
or pick-your-poison could do the trick, well, then it appears you think the
people you manage must be pretty dumb. Or else they would have figured this out
themselves, no? To me all of that sounds like a cheap way to get your fix of
snake oil. Of course, the results often (mostly?) don’t follow, and
disillusionment sets in. “Oh, crap, that didn’t work, either!”
I was delighted to see Margaret
Hamilton receive a Medal of Freedom from President Obama. When I listen to
the stories of how they pulled that project through (in-flight software for the
Apollo), it sounds pretty damn “Agile” to me. Did they care how to call their
method? Didn’t sound like that to me. What’s new? What’s in a name? Why start
some religious war? Why don’t we forget the labels, and “just” focus on the
work that needs to get done? The key, and hard part, imho is to use your
influencing skills to help and lead your colleagues to a shorter path to value.
Then all of a sudden nobody cares how it is called, but everyone loves results
and success! What’s new?
No comments:
Post a Comment